Australian streaming market revives in Q3
With Netflix and Disney+ poised to continue password crack down; Netflix secures top 3 most viewed and top 3 most enjoyed titles.
Worldpanel’s latest Entertainment on Demand (EoD) data on the Australian video streaming market uncovered the following behaviours within the Video on Demand (VoD) market between July and September (Q3) 2023:
- During the third quarter of 2023 (Q3), 7.26m households held at least one VoD service, representing 73% of households and growing by +150k or 2 percentage points quarter-on-quarter.
- Those subscribing to an Advertising-based Video on Demand (AVoD) service have risen +10% quarter-on-quarter, now reaching over 1m households.
- Value for money is becoming increasingly important, and now a key driver for 1 in 4 new subscribers, however, top content remain the #1 factor.
- A growing number of new subscriptions were taken out on a free trial, up from 25% in Q3’22 to 35% in Q3 ‘23.
- Disney+, Binge, Stan/Stan Sport, Britbox and Optus Sport all enjoy quarter-on-quarter increases in share of new subscriptions.
- Netflix shows resilience in competitive market securing both the top 3 most viewed and top 3 most enjoyed titles with Virgin River, One Piece and The Witcher.
- Marketing campaigns and promotional activity drive surge in new subscriptions